When someone unexpectedly gives you something for Christmas a couple of weeks early, what is your first thought? Many people (including me) think they need to get them something in response to their generosity. The amount of money spent on the return gift is usually the same or a little more. That’s why the key to spreading the love of Jesus during Christmas is to remember first the gifts that Jesus has given us so we can give Him something of equal or greater value.
Remember the Gifts Jesus Has Given Us
To help you start thinking of ways to share the love of Jesus during Christmas, keep the following in mind. These are just a few of the gifts He has given us.
- Jesus made us. Psalm 139:14 says that we were fearfully and wonderfully made by God.
- Jesus gifted righteousness to us. Romans 4:22-24 says that everyone who is saved is gifted righteousness. That is like having a bank account full of money we can spend freely and never deplete. We have been given righteousness.
- We have been given forgiveness—Romans 5:6-10. Forgiveness means the wrath of God that we deserved for our sins was taken away from us because of what Jesus did for us on the cross.
- We have been given justification. Being justified is like saying “just as if I’d” never sinned. 2 Corinthians 5:21 says that God, who knew no sin, became sin so that we might be right with Him.
- Jesus redeemed us. Galatians 3:13 says that Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us. Wow. We were purchased off the slave block of sin to be set free!
- I almost forgot the biggest one—the Cross! Jesus gave us Himself. He gave us everything! In my senior thesis, I wrote on the medical aspects of the passion and the crucifixion of Christ. Several times, I threw my pen down and ran out of my apartment into the woods, weeping, wondering why the Lord would love us so much that He would go through that kind of pain. Many doctors said it would have been the worst torture known to humanity.
Now, if Jesus has given us all these gifts, shouldn’t we give Jesus gifts for Christmas too? It is His birthday, after all. Can you imagine how horrible it would be to have a birthday party and everyone in the room receives gifts except for the one having the birthday? You need to give Jesus something this year of equal or greater value than what He has given you.
What We Can Give Back to Jesus This Season
Having received these gifts from Jesus, what should we give back to Him this Christmas season?
- You should give Him your attitude. Some have been complaining quite a bit this year. Complaining ruins our testimony—see Philippians 2:14-16. Complaining and worrying are the two sins that people are pitied for. Tell the Lord that you are sorry about your complaining and worrying. Ask Him to forgive you.
- You should give Him your money this Christmas. Someone once said that 88% of people who go to church do not tithe. Ugh! Use the spiritual gift of giving to make an impact for Him!
- You should give Him your sins. How would giving Jesus our sins this Christmas season be a gift to Him? Jesus died for those sins, and He loves it when we are free from them. He wants us to enjoy the pleasure of God by being clean and free from those things.
- Give Jesus your mouth and your fear. Commit this Christmas season that you are going to share Jesus with the people around you ten times! Sharing the Gospel—what a great gift to Jesus.
- You can creatively come up with other gifts unique to you.
- However, there is one other that is very important. You need to give Him something of equal value or more. You need to give Him YOURSELF. Wrap yourself up and lay yourself under the tree. I love watching my kids and grandkids open their presents. Imagine how pleasing it is to Jesus to see you wrapped up under the tree.
We put our gifts under the tree, but God put His gift ON the tree!
After you have experienced a revival in your own heart through receiving Jesus’ gifts and giving your gifts back to Him, you are ready to spread the love of Jesus during Christmas.
7 Ways to Spread the Love of Jesus During Christmas
Here are 7 ways you can spread the love of Jesus this Christmas season…
- Start by making a list of people that you would like to thank for their influence on your life. Give them a call. Write them a note. Text them. Our time is short on this planet, so let’s take advantage of the time we have and encourage as many people as possible. Hebrews 3:13 says that we should encourage one another daily so that we will not be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.
- There are many ways to encourage people during this Christmas season. Baking is always GOOD! Take some pie or cookies to your neighbors. Share with them the love of Jesus during this Christmas season. If you can sing, then sing them some Christmas carols.
- When you are checking out at every store location, say out loud Merry CHRISTmas. Emphasize the name Christ in the word “Christmas” by saying “Christ” first and then “mas.” Make sure you have a smile on your face when talking about Jesus.
- Spreading the love of Jesus could mean that you give some money to a homeless person and share with them the love that you have for Jesus.
- Also, out of nowhere, give a friend some money simply as a love gift. Tell them that you are getting something for Jesus this year for Christmas, and this is part of it.
- In church during the Christmas Advent, be especially friendly and loving. Hug a little longer. Smile a little bigger. Compliment a little more.
- Sharing the love of Jesus during Christmas is simply being you and sharing your spiritual gifts with the people you meet. You can also be like this for the rest of the year.
So there you have it—7 ways to spread the love of Jesus during Christmas!
Go Forth and Share the Love of Jesus During Christmas!
As Christmas is Jesus’ birthday, it’s important to celebrate Him. Consider the gifts He has given us, and give something of equal or greater value. That way, you’ll be ready to spread the love of Jesus during Christmas.
This season, give to help amplify His name and reach more people with His message!
And one more thing… Get Jesus a birthday cake. You do not need 2023 candles, but be creative. Sing “Happy Birthday” to Jesus on Christmas morning. It is His birthday.
Happy Birthday, Jesus!