You’ve likely heard it said, “God uses ordinary people in extraordinary ways.” But have you considered how this statement relates to you? As a Christ-follower, you are called to “Go!” You are called to advance His Kingdom, taking the Gospel to the nations, but how? How does God use ordinary people to advance His Kingdom?
GOD STARTS BY IGNITING YOUR HEART
Matthew 28:19-20 tells us to GO, BAPTIZE, and TEACH. Jesus’ words remind us that He is with us through our circumstances and the process of advancing His Kingdom.
- “‘Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.’”
By His Spirit—the Spirit who never leaves us—we are led, empowered, and given the words to speak life into others, the words to make a great impact beyond what we can see. This doesn’t mean we are all called to be pastors or to travel to every corner of the globe to stand on a stage in front of a large crowd. But it does mean that God uses ordinary people in ordinary circumstances to advance His Kingdom.
No matter who you are, as a Christ-follower, you have been given a unique gift to make a unique impact in your unique sphere of influence. This is the start of how God uses ordinary people, just like you, to advance His Kingdom. Invite Him to work through you in your ordinary, everyday life.
He has given each of us a Kingdom-advancing gift and the ability to pour into others. But first, we must understand how much love has been poured into us by God Himself.
WHAT DOES GOD’S WORD SAY ABOUT HIS LOVE FOR YOU?
As we look for opportunities to live a life of impact in the day-to-day, we must stay rooted in the love of Christ. First John 4:19 says, “We love because he first loved us.” To love others the way God designed, we allow the patient, pure, promise-keeping love of God that He freely gives us through Jesus to saturate into our innermost being.
When was the last time you meditated on God’s great love for you? We challenge you to do that now. Allow His unconditional, unending, and unmistakable love to penetrate your soul and ignite your heart.
- “…keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting expectantly for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ for eternal life.”—Jude 1:21
- “How priceless your faithful love is, God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.”—Psalm 36:7
- “God’s love was revealed among us in this way: God sent his one and only Son into the world so that we might live through him. Love consists in this: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins.”—1 John 4:9-10
WHAT HAS GOD GIVEN YOU PASSION FOR?
God has ignited your heart in a way different from others but for the same purpose—to partner with Jesus to bring Heaven to earth, advancing His Kingdom.
- Ask Him how He has uniquely wired you for a purpose to live a life of impact.
- Ask Him to reveal the unseen moments of doing the ordinary things in life that can advance His Kingdom.
- Ask Him who He wants you to pray for and spend time with to draw them into a more intimate relationship with Him.
- Ask Him to ignite your heart to be intentional in the everyday moments, infusing impact in the day-to-day.
3 WAYS GOD USES ORDINARY PEOPLE LIKE YOU TO ADVANCE HIS KINGDOM
We’ve looked at how God has given each of us—ordinary people—a unique passion for advancing His Kingdom. Now let’s look at how God uses ordinary people like you in everyday life…
- God has placed people in your life to teach, train, and equip.
Matthew 20:20 tells us to teach those new in the faith about Jesus. There is someone God has placed in your life that needs encouragement and longs to have a deeper relationship with Jesus. As you start to look for opportunities in your day to talk about Jesus, pay attention to how people respond. Are they attentive when you speak about the hope you have? Do they ask questions about your faith or relationship with God? Do they ask you to pray for them?
Use these opened doors to teach them about what Jesus says about following Him. Train them to get quiet with God and get into His Word every day. Know that equipping others is done through a relationship-building process. Look for opened doors to start conversations that will have a multiplying impact.
- God wants you to listen for ways He is moving in others.
We all have a story of God moving in our hearts. As we journey through our faith, the move of God continues to launch us into new territories and discoveries. But sometimes, it’s hard to see God’s hand in our situation when we are in the middle of it. This is where God wants you to pay attention and help people see how He is moving in their lives.
Maybe you’re on a sports team or at work, and someone shares a difficult season they’ve walked through. Ask them about it.
Reflect back to them how you see God used that circumstance to grow them. Point them back to God’s heart and Plan A for them to overcome obstacles and inspire others for a greater purpose.
- God wants you to point out that they are His Plan A.
As you listen to how God is moving in another’s life, point out their unique and creative abilities. Encourage them to see how God has gifted them in a purposeful way. Explain how God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things outside church walls and in the everyday lives of others. Speak life into them, telling them they are God’s Plan A.
- Pray with us for many to be saved and even more to become Kingdom Laborers?
- Pray for many to be open to how God uses ordinary people to advance His Kingdom?
- Pray for many to have a heart on fire for Jesus and to be launched into a lifestyle of everyday impact in their communities?
- Pray with us that Jesus’ vision for more Kingdom Laborers all over the globe multiplies like wildfire?
- Prayerfully consider asking God if He is leading you to fuel initiatives to advance God’s Kingdom where it seems impossible?
God calls, equips, and uses ordinary people—even those who don’t think they have anything to contribute—to join creative ministries that are as distinct and unique as the individual. God’s Plan A encourages average Christians everywhere to minister up close, one life at a time, in the everyday life of anyone. Be encouraged, and remember God’s desire is to employ every part of your uniqueness to impact others too!
Do you want to know more about your unique abilities and spiritual gifts? Take the Spiritual Gifts Test here!