First Corinthians 3:6 explains how God gives each of us a role in His Kingdom advancement process—we are His Plan A for reaching those around us! Some plant the seed, others water it, but God brings the increase. He is the one who causes growth, expansion, and advancement. He multiplies whatever we do!
“I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. ”—1 Corinthians 3:6 (KJV)
So if we “plant” and “water”…
- What does it mean that God brings the increase?
- How does God bring the increase in our lives?
- How do we discover the unique gift God has given each of us to advance His Kingdom and bring the increase?
WHAT DOES “GOD BRINGS THE INCREASE” MEAN?
- “I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So, then, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. For we are God’s coworkers. You are God’s field, God’s building.”—1 Corinthians 3:6-9 (CSB)
The Greek term used for “God gives the growth” or “God brings the increase” in 1 Corinthians 3:6-7 is theos ēuxanen—theos meaning “God” and ēuxanen meaning “to make properly grow, become larger in size, non-stop progress, multiplied.”
- God is properly growing you up, maturing you as you develop a heart on fire for Jesus so that you rediscover the good news of your salvation through your intimate relationship with Him. As a result, your life is transformed to reflect more of Jesus and His love. These are seeds He will increase to advance His Kingdom!
In 1 Corinthians 3:9, the Greek word for “God’s field” is geōrgion, which means “to cultivate the soil,” and the word for “God’s building” is oikodomē, which means to “build up, edify another’s growth.”
- It is God who causes the growth, not us. However, He invites us to use our God-given gifts to participate in—cultivate and build up—His multiplying movement to reveal His heart and reach the lost.
Paul writes that when we answer the call in our lives to be…
- God’s coworkers
- God’s workers of the soil
- God’s edifying buildings to grow up others
…we build upon the foundation of Jesus—fueling His movement—and will receive a reward (see 1 Corinthians 3:10, 14).
A reward should never be our main priority in answering the call to be Kingdom Laborers. Still, we can trust that He is faithful to His Word—that God brings the increase and rewards us for humbly pursuing Him, participating in His movement, and passionately serving others.
Trust God to bring the increase as He takes you on a journey to become a Kingdom Laborer wherever you are, to serve those in your sphere of influence. Jesus said the harvest is plentiful. He is sending you into the fields to build up the body of Christ!
HOW GOD BRINGS THE INCREASE IN YOUR LIFE
God’s purpose for you is unique. He has a YOU-nique ministry designed for you to meet people in their point of need—those you interact with throughout your day. As you grow in your relationship with Jesus and engage in your unique ministry, God brings the increase.
God brings the increase in your life through a process of…
- Developing a heart on fire for Jesus
People can tell who or what you love by the way you live. Jesus said, “If you love me, obey me” (see John 14:15). As you ask God to give you a heart on fire for Jesus, He will bring the increase. Over time, it will be evident who you love. You will desire to live how Jesus designed you to live—abundantly.
- Seeking Him intimately
The more you spend time with someone, the more you get to know them, right? The same applies to your relationship with Jesus. Seeking Him throughout your day, wherever you go, increases your intimate communication with Him. Jesus said, “My sheep know my voice” (see John 10:27-28). He is passionately pursuing a deeper relationship with you and will increase your impact as you seek more of Him.
- Engaging His Word
Every word of Scripture is inspired by God to teach, correct, and train you to live a life that brings both joy and awe. When you engage with God’s Word and allow it to fill your mind, body, and soul, it becomes your authority. The Bible says the Word of God—Jesus—is the seed (Luke 8:11-18). As the seed is planted in your heart, God will bring someone to water it, and He will increase it so that it bears much fruit for Him!
- Overcoming hindrances
Hindrances ensnare you. They keep you from growing into who God designed you to be. They keep you from living a life of purpose. As God continues to mature you on your journey with Him to bring about increase, He will also expose the things that hide in the dark, the hindrances that keep you in chains. By seeking Him with a heart on fire and engaging in His Word, He will equip you to face the hidden hindrances and begin to heal you from within. His healing will increase as you continue your journey with Him!
- Utilizing your YOU-nique ministry
Putting all these together—developing a heart on fire for Jesus, seeking Him, engaging in His Word, and overcoming hindrances—sews the tapestry of your testimony. In other words, your journey creates your God-story that reveals your God-given ministry! Using your unique God-story, you will reach people no one else can. He will use your creativity and interests, your spiritual gifts and passions, and your tragedy and pain to design a perfect ministry for His purpose.
As you journey through your relationship with Jesus, let your prayer be John 3:30: “He must increase, but I must decrease.”
HOW GOD BRINGS THE INCREASE WORLDWIDE
Forge is part of the body of Christ on a mission to equip everyday people to advance God’s Kingdom everywhere. He wants to use us right where we are. Prayers, giving, and engagement fuel God’s multiplying movement to more people in more places. God brings the increase and keeps His promises, just as His Word says!
How has God increased Forge’s impact worldwide?
The Forge Plan A book is now in Spanish and is available around the world to the nearly 500 million people whose first language is Spanish!
What is the Plan A book?
This book is about you and for you—for Christ-followers who desire to understand their Kingdom purpose better. It casts a vision of how anyone, even you, can live a powerful life of Kingdom impact every day and everywhere. You are God’s Plan A. He has an exciting Kingdom-building plan for your life. He has equipped you in a unique and powerful way to live a life that impacts those around you. Be the Church wherever you go and fulfill your unique Kingdom purpose.
This book encourages and equips Christ-followers to join the movement of living a life of impact—to know, without a doubt, that God has a plan for their lives to reach those who are harassed and hopeless.
HOW GOD BRINGS THE INCREASE IN THE UNITED STATES
God is bringing the increase across the nation. We’ve witnessed many people be a part of what He is doing to advance His Kingdom. We are excited to see how He will continue multiplying His movement worldwide through everyday Kingdom Laborers like you!
- “250 students gave God their ‘Yes!’”—John Vermilya, Youth Retreat, Michigan
- “One person said, ‘It felt like Jesus was in the room teaching us!’”—Dwight Robertson, Plan A Conference, California
- “120 students committed to being ‘Bout That Action’ Laborers and another 70 surrendered idols!”—Britton Bishop, School Spiritual Emphasis Week, Florida
- “Many responded for salvation, even husbands and wives were coming up, kneeling down together before Jesus!”—Charlie Marq, Revive Week, Michigan
Do you want to know more about where you are on your faith journey? Take the Spiritual Multiplication Quiz and start living a life of impact, and allow God to bring the increase!